homestead - Re: [Homestead] James. why

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] James. why
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:23:48 EST

> > I know James is convinced otherwise, but perhaps something
> else was attacking James' trees and the lichen were trying to help? It's
> such a complex relationship... easier for me to believe it is
> misunderstood instead of evil.

It's not an all or none proposition. We have two pounds of bacteria in our
gut withouth which we could not live. It does not follow that ALL bacteria
living in our bodies (or even in our guts) is beneficial.

Likewise lichens. Just because lichens form mutually symbiotic relationships
with trees does not mean all lichens on all trees are beneficial, or even
that it is a guarantee that they are not harmful.

Those relationships evolve over eons. Montmorecency cherry trees aren't
native here, you know.

James