homestead - Re: [Homestead] James. why

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] James. why
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:08:47 EST

> >That could be the foundation of the true problem. Introduced species may
> thrive, but often succumb to something in the end.

There's a North Star and Queen Anne and Lambert cherry trees in the other
orchard. They began to moss and lichen up and I sprayed them with a weak
copper
solution. The epiphytes subsided (did not disappear entirely) and the bark
healed up and the trees are fine.

I just came from the middle of my woodlot cutting a couple of dead standing
trees for firewood. The living trees all have lichens and moss on them, but
only a little. That is probably normal and healthy. Not so the fruit trees
in
question, they are covered with it.

I am going to replace all the Montmorency trees this spring from a local
nurseryman.

> >Our area had native cherry trees once but
> they all succumbed to the German immigrant furniture makers at the turn
> of the century.

We still have whole groves of them, massive trees 70 feet tall. Right beside
me is a piece of my work done all in local cherry wood (and three more in
black walnut). But these furniture cherry trees are not the same as our
fruit
cherries. The fruit of these are small and mostly seed and sour beyond
description.

I only need very small irregular shaped pieces of wood stock so the leftovers
from the veneer trade and even trees that are not timber quality at all do
fine for me. This last cherry wood (#2 grade and #3 grade) I paid $1.50 a
board
foot kiln dried and in the rough. I got maybe 40% to 50% good yield.