homestead - Re: [Homestead] RCMP officers (without accents)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] RCMP officers (without accents)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:48:47 -0500

Frank Fries wrote:
Just curious, what's your day job, Frank?

The one in Texas has their head office in Texas and had operations in
Texas and New Mexico. Since we acquired them, they have bought out
a couple of other companies and now have more mills, including in Oklahoma. I only deal with their Head Office and arrange financing or their banking arrangements, etc...for example, they need us to approve wire transfers to pay for larger purchases...or if they are short of cash for a period... we would send them money (an intercompany loan).

I suppose you have been busy with those loans of late..
I assume you have a financial education and background? If so, it will
be good to have another economically minded guy on the list-just to keep
things in check.

guess.

You knew that Mountie was used as a short name for RCMP, I am a little surprised.....although I have noticed that your replies to everyone are generally knowledgeable and also insightful...

Well thanks, but I always thought Mountie was common knowledge.
It amazes me how little I know about Canada. I think Americans just
take Canadians for granted. I love Jeopardy and of course Trebek always
throws in questions about Canada, so I try to learn as much as I can.
In addition, as a Finn, I have always been drawn to Canada and
Alaska-the colder regions, and the landscape, especially the lake
regions and the coasts, just feels like home. Just today, I was looking
at pictures of Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. Beautiful. I want to canoe
there!

As you know, the US is a HUGE country..and Canada is even bigger...but if Andy became an RCMP officer (w/o accent), he had to do his training in Regina.....all RCMP training is done at the academy in Regina.....every RCMP in Canada spent some number of months in Regina at the Depot, no matter how many 100's or 1,000's of
miles away they came from...I don't know offhand how long their training is, but it is months...

I had no idea that Regina was the training locale.

Once graduated, they are stationed all over Canada (and new recruits get shipped to the middle of nowhere to pay their dues)..... very few would happen to be left in this province (and then usually way up
north) but it would be quite unique to run into a Mountie with a Southern drawl...(lol)

I just know he spent his summers up there for the most part, and he left
to move up there right after his high school graduation. He is a smart,
quiet guy, not a talker, just an easy going outdoorsy type. I had hopes
that my daughter would fall for him, but no, she had designs on another. <g>
I haven't seen him but once in the last 5 years. The first time my son
came home, Andy just happened to be home, too, and all the Eagle Scouts
buds went rappelling together like old times. Good bunch of kids.
Ironically, or maybe not, almost all of them are in careers like
firefighting, law enforcement or the military.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge