homestead - Re: [Homestead] Solar Food Dehydrator

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Solar Food Dehydrator
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:05:50 -0800

I don't see the reasoning behind doing this. Cardboard boxes don't hold up in the heat. If you are going to use the sun and go to all the trouble of building a stand, why not just do it the old-fashioned way and do two sets of screens and set them out on sawhorses? You can do a whole lot more at one time and they don't collect moisture at night if you have to dry for more than a day. Cardboard collects moisture.

Most meats and fruits stick somewhat when you dehydrate IF you simply leave them in one place from start to finish. I turn mine and effectively have no problems because I don't leave them long enough for them to glue themselves down. Plus you get a better end product with more even drying.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

I'm thinking that this might be a worthwhile project. I'm looking at this plan:

http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

Has anyone made one of these? I remember a few attempts with an
electric dryer and how much the food stuck to it.

Rob - Va