homestead - [Homestead] Neat small cheap housing (semi-permanent)

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Neat small cheap housing (semi-permanent)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:47:31 -0800 (PST)

There is a good photo of this house on the link . Someone with good
imagination might be able to get some idea for an extra building (of more
climate sustainable materials) from the photo. This house has a "livestock
butcher" set-up, built right into the floorplan.

I have always enjoyed the "tiny house" or "small house" concepts in
Architecture. I just bought two books from Amazon on timber-framing, becuase
I need to learn more, but I have a couple of books, somewhere, entitled "Tiny
Houses" and " Tiny, Tiny, Houses" (by the same author) which I need to locate
and read again.

Architecture

$5,000 Paper House is the World's Swankiest Hobo Pad

By John Herrman, 7:15 AM on Mon Jan 19 2009, 51,594 views

Swiss company The Wall AG has a perfect solution for third-world shanty
towns, semi-permanent refugee camps and approximately 7.2% of adult
Americans: paper houses!

This isn't mere papercraft—the Universal World House is a $5,000, 390 square
foot modular home, outfitted with plumbing and boarding facilities to support
up to eight (eight!) residents each. The secret of its construction is its
"paper" shell; the resin-soaked cellulose, made from recycled paper, is
shaped into honeycomb walls, which provide structural integrity and
insulation to the houses.

Aside from having a convertible closed/open-air kitchen with table and
benches, the Universal World House has a hidden killer feature:

It has been designed so that a family can slaughter an animal on the veranda,
wash it in the shower and hang it, along with fish, on an integrated washing
line.

Hooray!(?) Apparently a few countries have placed orders for the UWH,
including Nigeria and Angola, but I could see how domestic aide organizations
could benefit from something like this too. [BBC via Fark]

http://i.gizmodo.com/5134222/5000-paper-house-is-the-worlds-swankiest-hobo-pad

  • [Homestead] Neat small cheap housing (semi-permanent), bobf, 01/19/2009