homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:31:55 -0800

Wood does loose value if it gets down below 15-20% moisture. That type of
wood is called "graywood." Woodstoves are not created to burn super dry
wood. It isn't a problem in an open fireplace or even in a wood fired oven
but in a wood stove it is a problem. Plus, most folks don't seem to know
that there are two types of moisture in wood and one type you need. The
water moisture needs to go away. The resin moisture is what starts leaving
after about 10 months. You don't want to loose too much of that.

Now, since chemistry was NOT my best subject <g>, I'm sure someone else can better explain the "free moisture" and "bound moisture" and volatile gas thingy and how it is most of your heat value. Chemists????

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

My confusion is that it seems you believe that the heat value of wood
leaves with the moisture.