homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:18:20 -0700

On Jan 15, 2009, at 11:08 AM, EarthNSky wrote:

We got the wood this past Fall. It is cut to length and stacked under a
shed. This is firewood for next winter, 2010 and maybe even 2011. It is
currently in large rounds. We did not split it because if we did, it
would be too dry by 2010 and beyond. We will split enough for next
winter starting in April or May, that will allow some time for it to
season properly. I don't know how to explain it better.

Well, I don't want you to be disappointed so I will persist. Are you of the belief that firewood can be too dry?

Also, depending on species, dry wood splits with greater difficulty than green/wet wood. And I don't mean rain wet.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com