homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:50:57 EST

> >Small sticks will burn better than big
> rounds. Round sticks do not burn as well as split wood because of
> surface-to-flame percentage.

Gene, are you not subsituting the word "better" for "faster". Split dried
wood does burn faster if that's what you want. Tonight is a definate three
dog
night. I have in the big stove a bed of hardwood coals. Later I will put a
few shards of coal on that and then stack the stove with green (sappy oozing
green) maple logs about 10" in diamter. Thus in my drafty, only partially
dampable, stove, they will burn all night and give off plenty enough heat.

Faster isn't always better.

James