homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:08:26 -0500

We got the wood this past Fall. It is cut to length and stacked under a shed. This is firewood for next winter, 2010 and maybe even 2011. It is currently in large rounds. We did not split it because if we did, it would be too dry by 2010 and beyond. We will split enough for next winter starting in April or May, that will allow some time for it to season properly. I don't know how to explain it better.
When Ron got sick last year, we were caught with no wood. I am not able to go out and fell trees and haul wood home. I can gather small wood and split wood here, though. So, because we don't know what the future holds for his health we now have wood for the coming years, and even if the worst happens and the cancer returns, I will be able to split what we already have.