homestead - [Homestead] Anthropology

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Anthropology
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:42:34 -0500

Today, I am listening to Hawaiian music. Keahli'i Reichel.
I was meditating and just letting the music move me, when I suddenly realized that the words and the rhythm of the songs remind me very much of what I would call Native American music of both North America and South America. It just made me rethink the Polynesian connection to the population and exploration of the Americas. Maybe mankind originally came across the Bering land bridge, but I wonder if that asteroid/comet that exploded over North America (aka the Clovis Comet) 13000 years ago might have wiped out much of that population and then the continent was possibly repopulated from South and Central America by the descendants of the Polynesian culture. I think I will re-read Kontiki, by Thor Heyerdahl.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge