homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anthropology

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anthropology
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:13:19 -0500

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:
When talking about music, there are similarities in almost ALL native
and indigenous music.?? When discussing influences and possible connections, it is also important to remember that it is possible that the similarities are coincidental. There are only so many ways to beat a hollow log, create drums, and blow whistles. There were bound to be duplications that were widely separated, having never had
a connection.

I thought about that. Certainly that is the orthodox, logical
explanation. It was a strange observation/realization, perhaps it was
just the mystical mood I was in, but even the lyrics sounded like some
Native American language. If you can find samples of the following
songs, I'd be interested in hearing opinions from others.

Maika'i Ka 'Oiwi O Ka'ala
Ka 'Opihi O Kanapou
No Ka Moku Kia Kahi Ke Aloha
Ka Mo'o Ku'auhau O Kamaile Puhi Kane
He Lei No Kamaile

All of those are from the Kamahiwa Album, which, I highly recommend if
you are looking for something different-something that will transport
you to another time and place.
http://www.amazon.com/Kamahiwa-Kealii-Reichel-Collection/dp/B000B9EYFM/ref=pd_sim_m_njs_5/187-3328082-3981824

My favorites are Mauna Leo and Ipo Lei Momi, very pretty music. If
anyone is planning music for a wedding, listen to The Road that Never Ends.

Bev

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge