homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gas explosions

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gas explosions
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:06:36 -0500

These wells are horizontal wells; they go down 8000-10000 feet, then they are drilled horizontally, all around like an octopus. I wonder what happens when they 'frac' a gas well. They pump a lot (A LOT) of water into it under pressure to crack the rock formation to release the gas. Then they suck the water back out, and supposedly the gas comes out of the well for several years. I have to wonder if the gas (and whatever else is with it, like methane) is released in other places, like coming up into the aquifer.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA