homestead - Re: [Homestead] Alternative medicine = mainstream

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Alternative medicine = mainstream
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:17:28 -0500

Let me rephrase...
I think that properly administered, alternatives are useful, however, most people are stupid and will self medicate with alternative treatments on the advice of one person and without researching the matter or consulting with a naturopath. Many times, these treatments will conflict with other treatments(alternative or allopathic) that they are also taking. In this way, one must be careful. There are supplements that will counteract traditional drugs, because herbal remedies are drugs, too, and you shouldn't mix things, but people do.
I can use myself as an example. If I take a natural thyroid supplement because I don't absorb thyroid hormones well, and then I suddenly start taking a multivitamin with Iron (or visa versa on the order), then I am not accomplishing anything. (Iron very often blocks absorption of the hormone.)

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I think you have to be just as careful with alternatives as will
traditional Western medication. I think you should probably limit your statement with "can be" or "some".

I don't find myself agreeing with this.
The only way I'd ammend Lynn's statement would be "almost all" rather than "some". Maybe to the point of saying that you can find an isolated instance here and there where it isn't true, but those are themselves probably flukes.

Lynn did not quantify it at all, that is why I wrote. I thought that it should be quantified.

I'm a bit testy on this point because I've lost several friends who were given that sachel of pills, A to treat some condition, B to counteract the side effects of A, C to counteract the effects of B, D to counter act the effects of taking A and C in combination, and E just for the heck of it.

I agree with you, but the same thing can happen with alternatives...some people take 35 supplements a day. Something is wrong with that, too. If they were eating and living properly, who needs all those supplements?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)