homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dr. Dr. Give me some news....

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dr. Dr. Give me some news....
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:23:15 -0500

You are so smart.
I just googled up one of my meds and oxalates..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3765223
http://www.springerlink.com/content/q5528w893635j487/
According to that, it seems that my anti-inflammatory helps oxalates.
I take it twice a day. It is the closest thing I take to a pain killer.

But THEN, I found this!!

http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/122/5/1858

As it so happens, that finding is from my hometown area-a bit weird
wouldn't ya say?
Anyway about 3/4 of the way down..
Researchers have demonstrated that these inclusions are primarily calcium oxylate crystals.13 14 Some investigators have proposed that
these crystals play a role in the inflammatory pathway.15 For our patient, the role and composition of these inclusions remain to be determined, but their existence seems more than coincidental.

The cornerstone of treatment for drug-induced lung injury is drug removal. The indications for prednisone are less clear. For this case, a distinct and rapid improvement was observed after adding prednisone, suggesting a possible role for early prednisone initiation when etanercept-induced lung injury is suspected. This observation also begs the question whether the true incidence of drug-induced injury has been underestimated by the frequent practice of combining etanercept with other immune-modulating agents, such as prednisone or methotrexate.

Isn't that special?
So the Enbrel, once again, is a probable culprit, and of course, I am
now on prednisone, and it was methotrexate that screwed up my liver to
begin with.
I am just livid.

Thanks a million, Lynda. I am printing this off for the doctor.

Bev

Lynda wrote:
I'd look to see if you are eating a lot of high oxalate foods along with your water problem. Calcium oxalates are a big contender in the
kidney stone department.

I would wonder if somehow the meds you are taking aren't acting like oxalates in that things that are recommended (ginger, cinnamon) for RA are high oxalate foods. Seems that stuff might react in the body like oxalates do?

Just musing outloud <g> when I had my kidney stone (knocked me to the floor), my doc sent me home with enough stuff to read for 10 people and every now and again some of it bubbles to the surface.

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

And that doesn't sound even close to my symptoms, but I know there are two strains of the stuff.

Luckily, the ER doctor, however competent or incompetent he turns out to be(I will know when the culture comes back), did not make a big deal about it at all...no lectures, nothing, just some paperwork and lit about it.

Yeah, whatever you got is probably my next antibiotic when the Septra is done. He said that there was one more before IV stuff. Since I started my own suspicion that it might be MRSA, I have self
imposed the bleaching routine and have been, for a couple of
months now, all kinds of stuff to take extra precautions. There is
no way, even if this is 'just staph' that I would want JRose to
catch it...no way.

My PCP said pretty much the same thing, that it was the diagnosis of the week.

Shoot, at the hospital we were lucky that they even found it. I was been discharged when I had to go to the bathroom and the urine was red. Even though I came in with kidney/back pain, they concentrated first on the Keflex drug reaction and then on my liver/gallbladder/pancreas workup. The kidney pain got lost in the
shuffle until I called the nurse to see the red. They quickly performed a UA, no culture, and wrapped it up with a nice bow saying that it, too, was MRSA related and that the prescribed antibiotics would also help that.
And, yes, what you describe sounds like a kidney stone. Been there done that and ain't planning on ever doing it again! The pain is, IMNSHO <g>, much worse than child birth! UTIs (kidney infections), on the other hand are merely annoying in comparison.

I have been very lucky to be almost 50 and to have never had an UTI. I believe that I did pass a stone, because there was a clear break in time when I started to feel better and the pain eased, not
to mention the sudden onset of pain out of the blue. I thought
the pain of childbirth was a little greater, but this was scarier
to me because I did not know what was happening or why and I felt
like dying!

Get this..last night my best friend called..she had been unaware of
all of this...she told me that last Thursday, the day prior to my incident, she got a call from our other neighbor, C, and when she got to C's house, found C on the floor in pain. Turns out C also had a kidney stone. I know they are rather common, but almost everyone around here has had stones, so I think it might be all the
calcium in the water. We have very hard water here, everyone is
on a well in this karst limestone valley. We all may be getting a
bit too much calcium and phosphorus. I'm not sure right now what
the solution to that would be other than buying bottled water,
which is a thought that is repulsive to me. I like my hard well
water, my very own mineral water, and if those minerals really are
causing a problem, I need to figure out what I should be doing.

I think the last doc you saw is the go to guy! Sounds like he didn't go to graduate stick up the arse school!
He's a great doc. I've been under treatment for hypothyroidism(Hashimotos) since I was about 15. I can't tell you how many endocrinologists I've seen in multiple states over that time. No one had ever been able to get my thyroid hormones stabilized until I started going to him, and he is a simple general
practitioner. He never felt constrained by the medical lit on the
subject and not only did he think out of the box, he prescribed
out of the box, and as long as I do what I am supposed to do, I
feel great and have no trouble.

-- The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men asked a woman for directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive at their destination. _______________________________________________ Homestead list and subscription: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/homestead Change your homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/lurine%40com-pair.net
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.10.0/1862 - Release Date: 12/23/2008 12:08 PM

View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead