homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dr. Dr. Give me some news....

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dr. Dr. Give me some news....
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:19:14 -0800

I'd look to see if you are eating a lot of high oxalate foods along with your water problem. Calcium oxalates are a big contender in the kidney stone department.

I would wonder if somehow the meds you are taking aren't acting like oxalates in that things that are recommended (ginger, cinnamon) for RA are high oxalate foods. Seems that stuff might react in the body like oxalates do?

Just musing outloud <g> when I had my kidney stone (knocked me to the floor), my doc sent me home with enough stuff to read for 10 people and every now and again some of it bubbles to the surface.

And that doesn't sound even close to my symptoms, but I know there are
two strains of the stuff.

Luckily, the ER doctor, however competent or incompetent he turns out to
be(I will know when the culture comes back), did not make a big deal
about it at all...no lectures, nothing, just some paperwork and lit
about it.

Yeah, whatever you got is probably my next antibiotic when the Septra is
done. He said that there was one more before IV stuff. Since I started
my own suspicion that it might be MRSA, I have self imposed the
bleaching routine and have been, for a couple of months now, all kinds
of stuff to take extra precautions. There is no way, even if this is
'just staph' that I would want JRose to catch it...no way.

My PCP said pretty much the same thing, that it was the diagnosis of the
week.

Shoot, at the hospital we were lucky that they even found it. I was
been discharged when I had to go to the bathroom and the urine was red.
Even though I came in with kidney/back pain, they concentrated first on
the Keflex drug reaction and then on my liver/gallbladder/pancreas
workup. The kidney pain got lost in the shuffle until I called the
nurse to see the red. They quickly performed a UA, no culture, and
wrapped it up with a nice bow saying that it, too, was MRSA related and
that the prescribed antibiotics would also help that.

And, yes, what you describe sounds like a kidney stone. Been there
done that and ain't planning on ever doing it again! The pain is,
IMNSHO <g>, much worse than child birth! UTIs (kidney infections),
on the other hand are merely annoying in comparison.

I have been very lucky to be almost 50 and to have never had an UTI. I
believe that I did pass a stone, because there was a clear break in time
when I started to feel better and the pain eased, not to mention the
sudden onset of pain out of the blue. I thought the pain of childbirth
was a little greater, but this was scarier to me because I did not know
what was happening or why and I felt like dying!

Get this..last night my best friend called..she had been unaware of all
of this...she told me that last Thursday, the day prior to my incident,
she got a call from our other neighbor, C, and when she got to C's
house, found C on the floor in pain. Turns out C also had a kidney
stone. I know they are rather common, but almost everyone around here
has had stones, so I think it might be all the calcium in the water. We
have very hard water here, everyone is on a well in this karst limestone
valley. We all may be getting a bit too much calcium and phosphorus.
I'm not sure right now what the solution to that would be other than
buying bottled water, which is a thought that is repulsive to me. I
like my hard well water, my very own mineral water, and if those
minerals really are causing a problem, I need to figure out what I
should be doing.

I think the last doc you saw is the go to guy! Sounds like he didn't
go to graduate stick up the arse school!

He's a great doc. I've been under treatment for
hypothyroidism(Hashimotos) since I was about 15. I can't tell you how
many endocrinologists I've seen in multiple states over that time. No
one had ever been able to get my thyroid hormones stabilized until I
started going to him, and he is a simple general practitioner. He never
felt constrained by the medical lit on the subject and not only did he
think out of the box, he prescribed out of the box, and as long as I do
what I am supposed to do, I feel great and have no trouble.

The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men
asked a woman for directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive
at their destination.