homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dr. Dr. Give me some news....

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dr. Dr. Give me some news....
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:22:45 -0800

O.K., I've been the MRSA route. Had these hive like, rash like thing going on. Wouldn't go away, and wouldn't go away. They were hot, were painful and they itched like crazy and nothing would stop the itch. Then DH gets them and shortly there after youngest gets them. So, I head on in to the local clinic as that is what we've got unless you want to drive 2 hours, which I didn't. Major hysteria. OMG!!!! You have MRSA. No tests. Just a big speech about how she had worked in the jungles of whatever and had seen lots of it. She gave me a script for an antibiotic that cost an arm, a leg and hocking half a kidlet! Had to get an authorization from the insurance because it was EXPENSIVE! Plus, she said MRSA could be highly contagious and that everything should be bleached (towels, undies, bedding). Get the antibiotics home and the list of possible side effects were huge and nasty, so I didn't start taking them. Besides, I had spent a whole day washing everything and its uncle and I was just plain tired of all of it.

So, long story short, a couple of days later was DH's routine appointment with his doc and we asked him about the hives/rash. Allergies or a contact dermatitis he says. Something we had eaten or something we all came in contact with. He also said that with my kidney history that I shouldn't take the antibiotics. (He's a good guy and often talks to all of us when he sees DH and doesn't bill anyone but DH)

He also said that MRSA is the "in" diagnosis and that NO ONE should believe it without a culture. He said that so far about 90+% of the *supposed* diagnosis are found to be false when cultured. He also said that doctors are going to create an even more super staph because they are all prescribing antibiotics for anything that even vaguely looks like it might be a "damn rash."

Now, as to the UTI, no one did a culture? And I don't mean the spin thing in the office, I mean sent out and checked for sensitivities. If they didn't, again, they are flying blind and setting you up with unnecessary antibiotics.

And, yes, what you describe sounds like a kidney stone. Been there done that and ain't planning on ever doing it again! The pain is, IMNSHO <g>, much worse than child birth! UTIs (kidney infections), on the other hand are merely annoying in comparison.

I think the last doc you saw is the go to guy! Sounds like he didn't go to graduate stick up the arse school!

lynda

Evening y'all

First, before I forget again, I have to correct something I wrote the
other day. I said "Last night they confirmed I have MRSA" I meant
confirmed my own suspicions, but I did not write that and implied a fact
not in evidence. The ER doc said that it was MRSA in his opinion. He
also said my 'kidney infection' was probably MRSA related since I had
had no prior symptoms before the fever and pain...the paper work and
diagnosis sheet I got to take home also says MRSA, however, to confirm
it, you have to culture it, and it was not cultured at the ER...the ER
doc just might be full of it...ok so anyway...
First appointment today was the ophthalmologist...good news there-my
pressures are at the high end of normal..yeah.. I got a new prescription
for glasses, but the doc is an a-hole and was definitely in his a-hole
mood today. He was such a PITA that I am considering filing a report
against him. Long story short, I will have to pay an optometrist to
make the measurements of my eyes that are needed to get my glasses via
mail, as the one today refused to do it saying he is treating me for
this and this and this, not so that I can get cheap glasses from a
company he has never heard of. And that was just the beginning.

Finally, I got my follow up with the PCP, whom I love. He is very
thorough, very patient, and has helped me a lot over the years, and yes,
he is also open to alternatives.
He spent about 20 minutes reading my history and labwork for the last 3
years, and he thinks that I don't have a kidney infection at all. He
thinks I passed a small stone, because I recovered so quickly...10 hours
later I was fine-urine color almost back to normal. He saw the first
spider bite in his office last summer, and he says that he is not
convinced that 3 or 4 boils/bites in 6 months means MRSA, especially
since the first bite healed with 2 rounds of antibiotics, so he also
lanced the boil and took a sample to culture. Three days, but of
course, with the holidays, who knows when... I hope he is right and that
this is just plain staph that will be undone by the antibiotics I am
already on now and hopefully not MRSA. If it is MRSA, he will put me on
another antibiotic and then after that, IV antibiotics if needed. He
is also starting up an entire battery of testing to try to figure out
what is going on with my liver. He wanted to repeat testing done at the
ER just to make sure the medicine is working. It works for me. I
talked to him about getting off Enbrel, and he asked if I had mentioned
it to my rheumie...no...he suggested that when I see her on 1/6 that I
discuss it. He agreed that perhaps I have been on the meds too long,
and wanted me to be sure and discuss it with her. He also said that if
my bilirubin and enzymes were still high on the blood they took today,
that that would warrant him calling her for consultation and I would be
seeing her sooner than 1/6. I then discussed baseline testing and
fitness evals...he ordered bloodwork for cholesterol, triglycerides and
all of that kind of stuff, plus a mammogram, too. Since my heart is
doing good, he said shoot for target of 140 bpm, and stick with no or
very very low impact exercise and to be careful with the weights. I
told him that I wanted to get off some of the meds I was on, a few of
which he had prescribed, and he understood and actually agreed that I
should try this this and this, blah blah blah...he did not suggest an
alternative that I had not heard of, but I was glad to have a chance to
talk to him. That is 3 less prescriptions I have to refill now.
As a side note, I got my pedometer and chin up bar today...(and also my
rice seeds!!!) so I can carefully and objectively record my progress
next year. I did not think I would like a pedometer, but I borrowed my
friends for a couple of weeks last summer and I was hooked. For me, it
spurs me on to do more...8000, I can do 9000, 10000 is almost
12000<g>...I found myself getting up and walking to someone's office
instead of calling on the phone, just to run the stairs and add steps on
the ped. It a good motivational tool that costs about $5. Mine was $8
but it's got a calorie counter, a stopwatch and some other stuff on it.
I figured the stopwatch would be good for taking my pulse.
I can't even do one chin up or pull up, but I did put the bar together
practically blind<G>, if that counts.
Except for dealing with the a-hole, it was all pretty good news...
I am really starting to get excited about getting healthy.
I'm sharing a lot of personal stuff with you guys in hopes that maybe
some of you will also take the time and spent the money on yourself.
Even if you don't like western med, at least find someone to do some
screening bloodwork so you will have an objective way to measure whether
or not all that oatmeal you are eating is lowering your cholesterol or
if you just feel better because you are getting more fiber. If you know
the facts, you can adjust what you need to adjust on your own.

Bev

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men