homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer crashed and burned!

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer crashed and burned!
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:09:56 -0800 (PST)

LOL !!! Another awesome idea!

Oh, I've managed to get thru a book on desert gardening.. Yikes !  The
seasons are actually short here, and with planning, I should get at least
something.

One thing that grows well here is a Chinese (yardlong) Pole Bean.  Apparently
loves the heat and soil type here (alkaline).  They grow 6-8' high.  Since
heat in the summer is an issue for me and I don't have shade on the east
side.... I started to think,,,, hmmmm I can easily make a giant trelise out
of the cactus "pole things" (very lightweight wood stalks about 2" in
diameter) and make a slanted trelise for the pole beans,,,, constructed in a
way to give me shade on the east side.  I've already learned here keep the
windows and walls shaded helps with the afternoon heat.  And the benefit will
be lots and lots of beans, probably more than I can possibly eat/can.....
maybe something to sell at the flea market.

I have to re-do my garden layouts and the timing I had planned for planting a
bit.

Next week, a cold frame needs to be constructed.

I found out the reason for plastic tunnels --- wind protection, and frost
protection.  The spring winds here are very strong, and it is still desert
dry and just sucks the moisture out of plants.

The soil is naturally a tad salty so watering is different too.  I noticed
something in my garlic "pool" but I didn't think about salt until I read the
book.. I had draped a "cooling pad" from a "swamp cooler" as insulation over
my garlic pool.... but I didn't realize the water is a tad salty also, and
these pads become salt soaked.  I had watered thru the pad one day, and later
noticed white stuff on the soil ---- it was salt.  I removed the salty soil
yesterday.  So far the garlic is doing well despite my error.  Also, covering
the pool that way to protect from cold also not good idea as it was keeping
the warming sun out during the day.

It has been down to 22 in the mornings now.  Something I'm definitely not
used to.

Raised beds like yours aren't recommended here, because of heat issues in the
summer...x-ref cooking the roots... although  slightly raised yes.

In other areas the idea is to get the soil to dry out a tad more, whereas
here, moisture retention is more important, so the beds are laid out
different,,,, i.e. 4'x15' bed would be very level ground and about 4" lower
than the walk/work areas inbetween beds.  So the water stays in the bed area
and drains down along the roots and helps wash the salt lower into the ground.

I haven't tested pH yet, but I did another test of two different areas I've
set aside, about 80% sand, and 18% clay, and 2% other.  It needs more
organic, which is the reason for manure.

The older lady at the gym today (newspaper liners tip) told me her hub has
gardened here for years and years without using added fertilizers, only
manure (horse and cow).  They did have a problem this year with a beetle
(which one escapes me at the moment, but a bad one).

Anyway, interesting stuff in the book, a starting guide

I also found out why my seeds "disappeared" last spring.... the harvester
ants stole 'em.  Starting in liners early is a must before they "wake up"
from their winter slumber....  Also the birds steal any small green shoots.
The author recommends making small A-frame screened tents (some 5-6" high
juding by the pictures) over newly planted seeds to keep the birds away,
which are removed once the plants leaf out a bit better.

Oh well, only a few more emails to catch up on....