homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 09:06:27 -0500

EarthNSky wrote: (about free-ranging chickens)

To do that, I would have to allow 100% free ranging, which I used to
do, but can no longer do due to multiple 'neighborhood' dogs that are
chicken killers. But yeah, that is the best of all options, right
there,,,it is just hard to do here and now.

I got up an hour ago after my fever broke to find 3 new hatchlings in
the incubator. Something caught my eye at the barn as I looked out the
window at the rain(wonderful stuff, but a solid week of it gets
old-about 7 inches for the week). I thought it was a person, but then,
a good sized white furry dog, like about the size and color of a
Maremma, came prancing out of the barn and headed for the chicken
tractor. I grabbed the 22 and headed out the door-in my underwear and
tank top in the pouring rain(had to give you that homestead visual<g>).
I rounded the back of the truck to see the dog look up from his
sniffing at the chicken tractor. I should have fired in that split
second, but I don't see that well and wanted to get a better look
through the scope to make sure it wasn't a dog I knew.(good neighbor
house dog-whitish yellow lab) It wasn't, but in that split second with
the gun raised, he turned and ran up the hill into the woods. That dog
knew what a gun was, for sure. I fired off a shot as he rounded the
garden, but missed, and he was out of sight in a flash. This was a new
dog to me, unknown who he belongs to, if anyone. If I had not seen him,
I feel pretty sure that he would have gotten into my chicken tractor
this morning. I swear the worst predators around here are dogs..then
hawks...then eagles....then coyotes, bobcats, possums raccoons etc....
If bad dog-owning neighbors weren't enough to prevent free-ranging, then
the drop-offs(from bad dog owning city dwellers) make it almost impossible.

Bev

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men