homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 2
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:45:02 -0500

bobf wrote:
I guess I thought you limited them to a couple of rounds of hatching
per year.

I only have one, somewhat broody hen at present. She only wants to go broody in the Spring. She's not as good as Rob's Maran<g>. That is why I have borrowed an incubator, and since it is not mine and I have to return it in a few months, I am hatching anything I can get my hands on.

Couldn't you just leave (once you have enough hens and
roosters) them to do their adult business on their own and raise and
hatch their chicks, on their own, and soon you would have a hundred
chickens running all over the place and you just grab several per
week to clean and eat?

To do that, I would have to allow 100% free ranging, which I used to do, but can no longer do due to multiple 'neighborhood' dogs that are chicken killers.
But yeah, that is the best of all options, right there,,,it is just hard to do here and now.

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men