homestead - Re: [Homestead] Building codes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Building codes
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:10:22 -0700

On Dec 17, 2008, at 7:52 AM, roxann wrote:

Fire insurance wouldn't do us a lot of good, because we're too far out for fire trucks to help other than to put out the forest if it catches on fire because of a house fire. But we do have our house wired and plumbed and built according to code because if we ever want or need to take out a mortgage on it, it will be possible. ditto if you ever want to sell it through a real estate agency or to someone else who will need a loan to buy it. personally, i don't ever plan to sell, or mortgage again once this one is paid off, but i'm learning to never say never about anything anymore ;)

I suspect that eventually most or all states will have real estate sales requirements for home inspections and if states don't, then mortgage lenders and/or insurers will. Furthermore, astute buyers, well represented or not, will increasingly pay the three or four hundred dollars for an inspection. This not only provides peace of mind, it gives buyers a target should something awful happen and they seek an attorney.

The two areas where homesteaders should strive for superior construction standards are electrical systems and heating and cooking systems. Flu fires take down many homes each year. While modern electrical equipment and design are good, rural homes are subject to mice, rats, squirrels and more, all of which are known to chew insulation.

I resist building codes and their enforcement from a freedom mindset, but I respect their intent and their general common sense requirements. My personal building may not comply with code. But I will always build for safety, reliability, low-maintenance, energy efficiency, comfort and joy.