homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beer making basics - Gene?

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beer making basics - Gene?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:03:35 -0500

Gene; thaks for posting this! I must have missed it the first time around. I've made many batches of beer, but didn't know about saving a bottle of wort to add when it's bottled...I always added a little priming sugar to each bottle.

One of the best batches of beer I ever made was one I call "Maple Brown Ale". It's made as James describes, but I used maple sap (SAP, not syrup) as all the water. It was lightly hopped, and made a smooth, very alcoholic brown ale. It got better with age; even at a year old, I think it was gone before it hit it's peak. I make 5 gallons (a couple of cases) at a time. I'd like to try making mead (honey wine).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>