homestead - Re: [Homestead] Building codes

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Building codes
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:47:23 +0000

Roxann's fine new house may well have greater value than the acreage
it sits with.
--------------------------------
no, it's the acreage that is backing the loan to build the house and the land
is worth a lot more than the house right now... but if price per acre goes
back to $400-500/acre, then it might be a draw, lol. But right now land is
still selling for $900-1500/acre out here. Hard to believe we bought it 5
years ago for $450/acre.

When we signed the purchase agreement, the land had been sitting idle for
years. no one wanted to pay that much for it. but as soon as the agreement
was signed, someone wanted it - our realtor told us that there was a back-up
buyer waiting in the next room if we didn't show up at the closing. we just
thought he was bluffing. over the weekend I was out looking in the hills for
my horses who were on a little escapade pretending to be wild traveling
horses and i went to the cabin across the mountain that overlooks our valley.
i'd never really properly introduced myself or talked to them because they're
only there on weekends. turns out, they were the ones waiting for the land
and were very disappointed we showed up! our realtor was also his realtor,
and he apparently had assured them that we most likely would not go through
with it so they thought all along they were going to get it. we all had a
good laugh over it, but they still want the land and if i had to sell, i know
it would go quickly and for a good price.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)