homestead - Re: [Homestead] Building codes

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Building codes
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:49:27 -0800 (PST)

i like your sentiment and the order in whcih you listed the priorities.
Universal building codes are not a bad idea, if they aren't used as a
t*xation or a beuaracratic hammer. Everyone should want a safe dwelling, and
most people do not owner-build.

Home inspectors can be as good or as lousy as they builders thwey are
inspecting. I have had to threaten lititgtion to have licensed bonded
inspectors take care of such simple items as ground wires not being screwed
into electrical sockets -- just hanging loose. Pure laziness on the part of
the builder and the inspector; you have to be always watching or have someone
else, whom you really trust, checking.

I resist building codes and their enforcement from a freedom mindset,