homestead - Re: [Homestead] Building codes

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Building codes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:17:17 -0500

>From "Section 36-105 of the Code of Virginia"

"B. New construction. Any building or structure may be inspected at
any time before completion, and shall not be deemed in compliance
until approved by the inspecting authority. "

I've learned that it's a lot of who you know here in this county. The
building inspector will look the other way on some things if you play
the game.

I also think that if you want to insure a building with electrical you
need to be in compliance with code.

If you aren't exposed to the road, you can hide from them. The code is
disguised as protecting the "health, welfare and safety" of residents.
It's easy enough for them to get permission to inspect from the
magistrate if they have reason to believe that you are constructing
without a permit.

If I were building without a permit, I'd want to go far enough away to
buy all the materials where people don't know me. Word gets out in a
county of 15,000 people.

Rob - Va