homestead - Re: [Homestead] Building codes

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Building codes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:48:37 -0500

> One of the several advantages of buying land in a poor area is there
> is antipathy toward government, which is rightly seen as adding a
> layer of financial expense onto hardscrabble living. Thus, the
> condition in Ozark County that, while there is a state code, there are
> no funds available for enforcement. We will not tax ourselves to
> enforce what we don't want.

While I agree with you on the building codes, the enforcement angle
has not been the case here in very poor Southside Virginia. The
building inspector is active. I have learned that just going ahead and
doing what I'm going to do usually works. And to his credit, he admits
that the county just wants to get the permits completed so that they
can up property values.

I purposely went slow and did not complete my addition last year so
that they county could not raise the taxes for 2008. They outsmarted
me. They upped the taxes based on the addition being 40% complete :>)
I'm half a mind to drag it out and see how many years I can take to
get to 100%.

Rob - Va