homestead - [Homestead] Building codes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Building codes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:24:41 -0700

On Dec 16, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

The problem in Va is the adoption of a state wide building code. Here
in a rural county, we would never build to the same code as in urban
areas, but the state wide code is going to meet the needs of the city
dweller first and then tie the rural dweller to the same standard.

Building codes benefit members of trade unions. They purport to create safe homes and that case can easily be made. But it is additional expense and a substantial loss of freedom to have to build to any code imposed by the king. Codes are a real stumbling block for anyone who wishes to use alternative building designs. They are also often behind the times in that they do not reflect manufacturer guidelines, for example, regarding the use of vapor barriers on the inside of certain insulation materials.

One of the several advantages of buying land in a poor area is there is antipathy toward government, which is rightly seen as adding a layer of financial expense onto hardscrabble living. Thus, the condition in Ozark County that, while there is a state code, there are no funds available for enforcement. We will not tax ourselves to enforce what we don't want.