homestead - [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:03:43 -0800 (PST)

I have to start somewhere.... so as I am close to the point where it is time
to invest in supplies that will produce wealth (sustainable food supplies), I
would love some input from the homesteading perspective.  I.E. I'm  not
expecting to have much currency in the future in order to replace supplies.
Therefore, my choices of allocating my funds in this area are critical.
Regardless of whether I go on a scavager hunt, obtain at flea market, or
drive 100 miles to town and pay full price - I need to know WHAT is important
to get, and which are priorities.

I have ordered a couple of used books dedicated to organic gardening in the
desert, and they should be here soon. Any input is appreciated, as books
aren't necessarily written from the homestead point of view.

PLASTIC COVERED TUNNELS
I've seen pictures over what appears to be cement mesh wire.  Bev told me
that plastic in the heat has a rather short shelf.  It probably also has a
short life in high wind.    It also costs $ to replace.

Are homesteaders using plastic tunnels?
What alternatives are there?

GREENHOUSE
Any ideas to contruct an economical one so I can have a place to start the
liners for srping planting?

RAISED BEDS
Pros/cons.  I could stack cement blocks, depending on how much $$$.

For the raised beds, would I be just adding the local soil (of which I have
acres) plus manure/compost or what?

In the raised beds are you growing in rows?  or in something called a X # of
plants per square foot method.

COMPOST PITS
Any suggestions on the most economical?
I'm in very dry conditions, and I know watering will be necessary.

RABBITS & OTHER MUNCHING CRITTERS
How deep to bury the fencing material in the sand?
Is there a way to make the fencing "moveable" for tilling times?

There are a lot of jackrabbits and cottontails here.  I haven't seen any
antelope in my immediate area, but I have about 20 miles north.  I have seen
coyote on the property (rarely).

TOOLS
About how many years do they last, and would it be a worthwhile investment to
buy extras (i.e. picks, shovels, hoes, machete, etc.) and/or extra handles.

What tools would be a priority.

PLOW
I'm currently using a gas engined rotor tiller, which I know is not
sustainable in worst case scenario, but it was a b-day gift from dad.

Where does one even get an old fashioned plow and harness system these days?

BTW the neighbor keeps a mule in with her 2 cows and sheep and chickens.  I
asked why, she said the mule protects the other animals from predators (I
assume she means the coyote).  True?  and is anyone using a mule for plowing?

I'm thinking the biggest problem I would find would be obtaining enough water
to grow enough alfalfa for larger animals, so that isn't a first choice.  But
any ideas on how to plow the gardens up without a gas powered engine would be
VERY much appreciated.

POTATOES GROWN IN HAY?
Has anyone tried that?
I did find out tire method ok in the desert too, I was worried about heat
from black tires cooking the spuds...

I can buy a lot or a little, but what I'm wondering is what is critical, and
which items have people found will need replacement.

Oh, my brother does have one of those old grinding stones to sharpen farm
tools - a task my grandfather gave me when I was a kid.

FIELD CORN
Is anyone growing their own as feed for chickens?  There is limited
vegetation and bugs here, and I know chickens eat grass, bugs, etc..  What
else can I feed (grow myself) to feed the chickens.  I can grow alfalfa here.
Anything else?

One thing I haven't figured out is field corn sweet corn grown to the dried
stage? Or it is a different variety altogether.  What kind of corn becomes
corn meal?

WHEAT
Is anyone growing?  Anyone converting it into flour for bread?
And is anyone making their own yeast?

HONEY
Anyone raising bees?  There seem to be plenty around here naturally, but I'
thinking in terms of honey for the yeast in bread.