homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Fwd: Re: bev - Potato Q - and Sage]

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Fwd: Re: bev - Potato Q - and Sage]
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:34:37 -0500

I use a mixture of hay and a few shovelfuls of soil...from right next to the pile of tires. I don't dig a hole anywhere-the way I see it, I am just borrowing the topsoil, it gets put back when I knock over the tires. I fill up the tire with hay, and then add the dirt to kind of weight it down...one, two, or three shovelfuls, depending on the dirt and the size of the tire.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

--------
I've always wanted to try this, but where do you get all the soil to fill the tires? I'm trying to raise my beds so they warm and dry out faster, so good soil is at a premium here. Do you just dig a hole somewhere to get the soil?

Lynn Wigglesworth