homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Fwd: Re: bev - Potato Q - and Sage]

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Fwd: Re: bev - Potato Q - and Sage]
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:54:19 -0500

Leslie wrote:
Wait, you are saying that when the potato plant gets about 1 foot
tall, to stack another tire ON TOP? of the first tire,,,, like the
Michelin Man look? I would never have guessed that one.

Yes, and keep going, making it 4, 5 or 6 tires high, as tall as you are,
depending on the width of the tire. When you are done stacking, you
treat the top plant just as if it were in the ground...Instead of
digging potatoes, you just knock over the stack and pick up the
potates...In a five tire stack you can easily get 25-40# of potatoes.
--------
I've always wanted to try this, but where do you get all the soil to fill the tires? I'm trying to raise my beds so they warm and dry out faster, so good soil is at a premium here. Do you just dig a hole somewhere to get the soil?

Lynn Wigglesworth