homestead - Re: [Homestead] Economy & famil

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Economy & famil
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:06:02 -0500

> --- On Sat, 12/6/08, sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net> wrote:
>
> > I've been watching this whole thing unfold, Lisa, and
> > several times been struck by the similarities to my situation. I've
> > always been the 'crazy' among my birth siblings, and they
> > weren't sky about stating their opinions. Rarely have they deemed it
> worthwhile to
> > visit me; the accommodations are lacking, services are lacking, they
> > I'm sure, could go on for a long time. Only one of them can even see the
> > peace & quiet, the ability to be self-reliant to a great degree, clean,
> > decent, reliable food supplies, and all the other things that have
> > to me a higher value than to them, obviously. (snip) And so it went for
> many
> > years. It was clear to me that they considered themselves successes and
> > if I wasn't already a failure, I was about to fall in a hole any
> > minute.

This is close to my situation. Thanks for your honest and heartfelt post,
Susan Jane. I have to go to a holiday function for my job in a bit, so time
is short at the moment.

My brother's overly large house has 11' ceilings. My s-i-l commented on our
first visit to his home a year ago Thanksgiving that they chose during
building to make it more 'comfortable' and scaled back from 12'. I recall
thinking to myself, "Way to scale back." His house feels cold to me,
literally and figuratively, but they like it. One gate with a punch in code
at the entrance of their 'community'.

> My sister lives in a regular-sized home (whatever that is) with normal
ceilings and no gates. Still, they will truly have a tough time accepting
and living with less.

Need to scoot.

lkvp