homestead - Re: [Homestead] Economy & family

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Economy & family
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 23:32:06 -0500

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll keep your sister in my prayers.
>
> I've let my family be known that they can come here any time. My
> sister and her husband live on the brink, my brother and his wife are
> a bit better off. My mother and her husband are just trying to retire
> and it's not going to happen.
>
> Believe me, Lisa, you and yours have the skills necessary and the
> location to do it. You might just be your families insurance policy
> they did not know about.
>
> Wow, Rob, thank you. I might have to cry. Oh wait, I've done that today but
a second time would be cleansing. ;)

Believe it or not, a month ago I told my sister in a phone conversation that
we'd have room for them in a worst case scenario. Of course, you never want
that to happen and we kind of glossed it over for that would imply that they
lost their house and they'd have to move. We'd love for my sister & fam to
move here, just not under these circumstances. You're not supposed to have
favorites, but she is mine.

The weirdest part about this bad economic stuff that has happened (and keeps
continuing) is that I have flashbacks to Thanksgiving 2006. (Not those kinds
of flashbacks, people!). Back then I told my whole family (my Dad's side)
that I thought the economy was going to be in trouble and based my thoughts
on what little I knew from my experience in the mortgage world. I vividly
recall my brother, who is a financially savvy person particularly w/ real
estate and construction, practically dismissing me and others around the
table looked at me like I was completely nuts. My brother, Dad and Uncle
then launched into a conversation about how things were fine and would
improve if only the media would just report as much. I recall going home
silently thinking that my brother was probably right and I was probably
wrong.

Fast forward two years. I saw the same people just last week. It was a much
different and somewhat subdued gathering. We all tip-toed around the economy
and the election. This experience has been eye opening to me on many levels.
I need to learn to trust and believe in myself. I am brighter than I thought
I was and will no longer think my brother knows it all.

What is it about the hour of 11 pm EST that makes a person, namely me,
become so darn honest?! This is when I should blog but is usually when I've
already been asleep for at least a half hour.

lkvp