homestead - Re: [Homestead] You think they won't taxyourhomestead...............

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] You think they won't taxyourhomestead...............
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:02:40 -0500

Oooo, fencing to drool over. What kind of sheep? Do you spin or sell to
spinners?

It's a wonderful fence, and will outlast me with minimal maintenance. My goal is to make farming easier, because I'll never be able to afford to retire.

My sheep are mostly Romneys (one black), and one Rambouilett. I just got a Dorset ram last spring, and had 3 surprise out-of-season lambs this fall. They are growing like crazy, so I think the combination of breeds will be good for market lambs. I have a spinning wheel, but never really learned to spin.

I'm using the wool for rugs; I've made several different types. I'm making one for myself now that is tied on warp strands, like a Greek flokati (shag) rug. It's as thick and luxuriant as a lambskin rug. I enjoy the work, but it's pretty slow going (keeps me off the streets and out of trouble). I'm thinking of getting different breeds of sheep with different types/colors of wool. It's another thing I'd like to try commercially, but if I had to live off my weaving/rug making, I think I'd starve.All my enterprises together don't bring in enough to pay the bills.

Lynn Wigglesworth