homestead - [Homestead] fencing (not the olympic sport)

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] fencing (not the olympic sport)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:03:28 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 12/5/08, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> About 25 acres is woodlot, but it was timbered before I
> bought it, so it's
> not a very attractive woodlot, with lots of briars and
> underbrush (I have to
> buy firewood). The young trees are now 10-15 years old, so
> they are big
> enough that the animals can't damage them. I'm
> trying to keep sections of it
> open for grazing.
>
> Lynn Wigglesworth

About half of my 200 acres is wooded. If I fence the perimeter I would have
to build about a mile of fence through very hilly woods. Which also made a
survey very expensive.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts about where to place a fence.

I'm slowly (very) thinning out the woods for better timber production, don't
know how much grazing I can allow and not effect future timber?
The next option would be to fence the perimeter of the woods. I also expect
to have interior fences for intensive grazing. I imagine that I would decide
to relocate those because grazing plans might change.

I'm thinking about using small oaks for posts at least for interior fencing.
We have discussed that before. At this point I'm willing to replace in a few
years to save money now, in ten years I probably will be cursing myself
though.

Van Dell

USDA will pay some for interior fencing to encourage intensive grazing.
Don't think I'm going to want to put up with them though.