homestead - Re: [Homestead] You think they won't taxyourhomestead...............

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] You think they won't taxyourhomestead...............
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:15:03 -0500

Sounds like you had the fence installed rather than you doing? What kind of posts did you use. You mentioned sub-divided, enough to do intensive grazing? Do you have any woodlands, if so are they outside the fencing?
Van Dell

I may be tough, but I'm not up to single-handedly fencing 42 acres :-)

I think it's 4" locust posts, driven 4' into the ground. So far it's subdivided into 3 main pastures. I'm putting in the rest of the subdivisions myself. So far I've got one pasture subdivided into 3 acre sections. When we had the dairy, we used poly wire to give them half-acre paddocks twice a day. Too much work! And the bulls and sheep don't respect poly wire...I find it dragged all around the pasture.

About 25 acres is woodlot, but it was timbered before I bought it, so it's not a very attractive woodlot, with lots of briars and underbrush (I have to buy firewood). The young trees are now 10-15 years old, so they are big enough that the animals can't damage them. I'm trying to keep sections of it open for grazing.

Lynn Wigglesworth