homestead - Re: [Homestead] fencing (not the olympic sport)

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <vdjor AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fencing (not the olympic sport)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:56:29 -0800

Cattle grazing in a wooded lot is not a good thing. Compacted soil inhibits the growth of and can ultimately kill the trees. Sheep and goats aren't as big a problem when it comes to compacting soil, however, they'll strip the bark off young trees and effectively kill them off that way.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN" <vdjor AT yahoo.com>

About half of my 200 acres is wooded. If I fence the perimeter I would have to build about a mile of fence through very hilly woods. Which also made a survey very expensive.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts about where to place a fence.

I'm slowly (very) thinning out the woods for better timber production, don't know how much grazing I can allow and not effect future timber?
The next option would be to fence the perimeter of the woods. I also expect to have interior fences for intensive grazing. I imagine that I would decide to relocate those because grazing plans might change.

I'm thinking about using small oaks for posts at least for interior fencing. We have discussed that before. At this point I'm willing to replace in a few years to save money now, in ten years I probably will be cursing myself though.

Van Dell

USDA will pay some for interior fencing to encourage intensive grazing. Don't think I'm going to want to put up with them though.