homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:15:59 -0800 (PST)

--- On Wed, 11/26/08, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, yes. Not at all like your brown Swiss, which can be
> real rips.

One summer we milked a shorthorn who's calf died. I don't remember anything
about the quality of the milk, but sure was difficult milking. She was as
well behaved as any we had ever had, but my hands are small and her tits
(sorry, but in our community even polite little old ladies used that word)
were big enough I could barely handle and even my dad had to work extra hard
to get the milk down.

A bit of a story about our regular milk cow. One time, don't know if I
pinched are if she was just crotchety that day, but the cow kicked me, very
hard, and placed so that I wondered if I would ever have kids. I, having a
bit of a temper then, kicked back, then finished the milking.
The next night she got to the barn door and and turned and ran to the far
edge of the pasture, about a quarter mile away. Pa and I chased her to the
barn door twice before getting her in.
After we closed the door, Pa looked at me and said "you didn't by any
chance kick that cow last night did you?" What else could I say but fess up.
Nothing more was said as I'm sure Pa must have done the same thing himself.

Van Dell

Van Dell