homestead - Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma (Egyptian Onions)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma (Egyptian Onions)
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:28:37 EST

> >With the
> economy going like it is and the 1.2m jobs lost this year we really
> don't need "negative vibes". Thinking positive won't hurt....

Won't help either. And a lot of times it does hurt. It keeps us from
staring reality dead in the eye and preparing for it and dealing with it.

A 'for example' would be the auto industry. It might be out and out gone as
we have come to know it. Yet, the Pollyannas in the industry chime (in a
Sarah Palin voice) "Gee, guys if we all just belive hard enough, those ol'
SUV's
will start rolling off the lot again."

Canverous houses, land yatch cars, etc. .... maybe gone for good and not
coming back.

The thing with the 25% unemployment during the Great Depression and talking
ourselves into the notion that it just can't happen now of days, in 1933
almost all jobs were real. People made things, grew things, mined things,
smelted
and refined things. (Hey, lyrics to a song ... good thing I'm not too far
from Nashville). Now of days the majority of our jobs are air jobs.
Coordinating this, facilitating that, shuffling around with laptop under the
arm,
counseling this, advising that, speculating on the other. Unlike in 1933
where the
folk still needed coal, lumber, farm produce, cloth, and all the things that
made up over 80% of the work force ... those things don't account for 10% of
our current work force.

The world has been supporting our vast army of pontificators and facilitators
and administrators by giving us their oil, giving us a use fee for our money
they needed to buy oil, and by buying up all our fiat treasury bills. All
that could evaporate in a matter of weeks if not days.

To many it looks as if that is has already begun to happen.

Sobriety and prudence do not constitute 'negative vibes'.

James