homestead - Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma (Egyptian Onions)

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Give up the dream? My dilemma (Egyptian Onions)
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:24:11 -0500

Even under the best of conditions the return to the urban life rarely works
out like the homesteader refugee imagines. Yes indeed! If I was only in X
urban center, why, with my wit and charm and skills, I'd be such a success. The
only reason I'm unhappy is because I'm stuck here on this rural farm!

This is actually true of my ex. He seems happy now that he's no longer stuck on the farm. He rents a room in a friend's house and has all his shopping, cooking and cleaning done for him (she's a 'mother-enabler' type...I don't think it's a romantic relationship...he needs a mother more than a lover). His employer, besides a big salary, gives him a laptop, cell phone, and company vehicle. He doesn't have responsibility for even a houseplant, so he can pick up and travel for work at 10 minutes notice, and be gone for weeks living on a lavish expense account without a care. It's the life he always wanted...be free to travel and have someone else pay you for it AND pick up the tab.

I'm a 'rooted' sort of person, and I fret when I'm away from home. That kind of life, or even having a partner who lived that life, would kill me.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA