homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm terms

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm terms
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:21:47 -0800

It was down on those beaches where I learned to make tortillas.

I have no intention of going back since the tourists have discovered all those towns and the Americans have bought and built all over the place. Sad really.

It was a beautiful place to live because we didn't expect folks to make it American for us so they rented us little one room structures. They were pleasantly surprised, I think, that we didn't expect anything except a roof, so they took us in like family. That's where I learned to make tortillas, both corn and flour. From the stone up. <g> Now there's a day's work!

We shared recipes and I've always wondered if they still make New England clam chowder. It was quite a hit. And really yummy with a type of flat bread they made on the old piece of cast iron they made the tortillas on.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Fish tacos are arguably the best there is.

Technically, and as the term is used in Mexico, a taco is a corn tortilla
filled with absoulutely anything. If it is a flour tortilla, it is a burrito.
There's a social position implied with those insisting on flour tortillas
somehow 'getting above their raising'.

I've never been a picky eater. But the one of the very best tacos I ever had
was some sort of green fried stuff. On the third taco I got around to ask
what it was. The answer was "escoria". I didn't know the word so after
quizzing the taco vendor the explanation emerged that 'escoria' means 'pond scum'.

Ha, I thought, I wonder what is really in it since foods in Mexico often have
cute metaphorical names. Nope. Pond scum.

I ordered up a couple more.

James