homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:42:31 EST

> >This was sent to me by a Buddist friend, as an explantion of his point of
> view. I think it might be of interest.

Love them Buddhists, the Dalai Lama eats pork regularly, you know.

But your friend's list of explanations, and you may quote me on this, is
mainly bull squeeze.

Militant vegerarians often quote these stats comparing a vegetarian diet
grown under ideal circumstances and a onminvore diet produced under the worst.

All the objections he/she raises are functions of agribusiness, not meat
consumption per se.

If I go open a jar of canned rabbit meat for supper's stew, which I well
might, the meat was produced entirely from weeds, garden surplus, kitchen
surplus,
etc. That is, the meat represents resources not available for human food
unless it is fed to the rabbit first. Likewise the goat shoulder in the
freezer.
It represents lichen, moss, goldenrod, and all manner of browse which we
cannot make any use of directly nor use the land directly for anything else.
It
represents not one kernal of commercially produced grain.

In fact your friend's one righteous agribusiness cauliflower and arugula
salad represents more harm to the enviromnent, more squandering of resources,
more
human misery than ever bite of animal protein we consume here in a year.

I'm not impressed with this form of self-righteous saving the world through
vegetarianism. Such people would be better off setting up a few hutches of
rabbits, scouring the neighborhood for weeds, and eating that rather than
smugly
chowing down oil and sweat soaked agribusiness produce.

James