homestead - Re: [Homestead] "The Formerly Middle Class " - Commentary

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "The Formerly Middle Class " - Commentary
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:01:44 -0800 (PST)

Those socio-economic labels are horrible in their ability to define. Middle
Class doesn not really mean "middle income" and middle income can vary vastly
depending on one's location. To me, middle class means security in the
neceesities of shelter,water, food, and health, with some left over for fun.

So a self -employed carpenter or farmer in (name your small town) making
(name your income) with a mostly paid-off house, and a healthy family is
more middle class than a middle managesment type or professional making
(6-12 times that of the carpenter) with higher property taxes, income
taxes,city taxes, fees , higher insurance on everthing, higher mortage, and
an unhealthy family member.

It really is all relatives and we don't have, yet, adequate terms of
definition.......bobford