homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:46:19 -0800

> I believe in nonviolence. Slaughter isn't a non-violent act.

all good reasons...
the one that resonates most with me is from the "Vegetarian Epicure". The
author states that most animals are flooded with adrenalin from the
flight/fight response in the moments before their death. In her opinion, the
resulting meat is drenched in adrenalin, so basically, you are eating "the
animal's fear."

Gaaaaaack. That image is like out of a Stephen King novel...

I still eat meat because that's what the family wants, but I eat a lot less
of it now and in my head I've taken to apologizing profusely to what's on the
menu for the day. I'm working on eliminating meat totally from my diet since
I tried doing the blood type diet for a few weeks and found I hurt a lot less
(I'm an A, we're supposed to avoid muscle protein except for some poultry).
I still crave a steak now and again, which is fine with the spouse--he's a
true meat-eating B blood type and a Midwest boy to boot...

and.... I'm back outside collecting leaves for my compost pile, though if I
stall long enough the next storm may blow them out of my jurisdiction....

-Rebecca in the great Northwest