homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:42:51 -0600

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:51 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> People enjoy vegetarian foods more, says I, when we drop the concept of
> "meat
> substitute". Good vegetarian fare isn't meat. Try to mimic meat and you
> get the worst of both worlds.

I have a rule about vegetarian restaurants: Never eat anything there
that would be meat-based if served elsewhere.

> Falafel, humus, tablouli, tempeh, lomein, soba, and all the other vegetarian
> foods from around the world are not attempting to mimic meat and so they are
> an eating experience in their own right without referencing them to meat.

Yes, I've cut way back on meat because I like all the stuff you
mention. The best vegetarian food in town is served at the Holy Land,
which is a generic Middle Eastern restaurant. I think the owners are
Greek.

Marie

PS: Of course, the Indian restaurant serves fantastic vegetarian
dishes too. We have lots of Indians, and many are vegetarians.