homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:51:38 EST

> >Yes, at first eating meat substitutes that mimicked meat
> for me was sort of repulsive from a food allergy
> standpoint: eat meat=get sick.

People enjoy vegetarian foods more, says I, when we drop the concept of "meat
substitute". Good vegetarian fare isn't meat. Try to mimic meat and you
get the worst of both worlds.

I really like some of the veggie burgers. There's one from mushrooms and
oatmeal, one from tempeh and rice, and the best perhaps is made of summer
squash.
I like them, light meals, good way to eat some whole wheat bread and onions
and tomatoes and onions and lettuce and onions. But the AREN'T burgers. If
you expect them to BE a burger, they will always fall short. But viewed as a
food in their own right, they are wonderful.

Falafel, humus, tablouli, tempeh, lomein, soba, and all the other vegetarian
foods from around the world are not attempting to mimic meat and so they are
an eating experience in their own right without referencing them to meat.

If something very much like meat is what's desired, best to eat meat and be
done with it.

James