homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm terms

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm terms
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:43:10 -0500

Mogrits wrote:

Also, a "taco" down there is quite a pleasure. Especially if eaten
roadside in one of the many "sodas" along the way. Stringed seasoned
beef usually, rolled in a tortilla and lightly fried, topped with a
"salad" of cabbage, carrots, vinegar and a few seasonings.

I think with two more weeks I could have been passably orally
literate- the Spanish wasn't particularly difficult to read but
writing it, for me, might take a few years to master. (One can dream).

Warren

It is not hard to learn, Warren, and in so many ways, it makes more sense than ingles.
Mi amigos en trabajo always brought tacos and tamales and such for lunch, always with the little salad you describe...we'd call it slaw, I think. My friends would also add radishes to the list of condiments. Before that, I had always eaten radishes either au natural or in a salad. Now, I grate them or slice them, use them as garnish for my guacamole and other dishes, then just add it to the list of taco toppings. The radish seems to bring out the flavors in the meat taco..and I never would have thought that.

“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda