homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:48:52 -0600

That was my first cookbook. I checked it out a dozen times from the local library, which didn't have a copier (I didn't have the money anyway) and I painstakingly copied all the recipes by hand when I was a teen. It introduced me to Mexican food (something that was, unbelievably, uncommon where I lived in Texas in the 70's) and also to garbanzo beans which are one of my favorite beans to this day.

I believe the Tassajara Cookbook folks were Zen Buddhists involved with the Green Gulch (isn't this where Green Goddess dressing originated?). But I don't recall Laurel's Kitchen espousing a religious philosophy. These were the early vegetarian tomes that provided simple, hearty meals that weren't necessarily the most tasty, especially in comparison to the newer Moosewood, Greens and Millenium restaurant cookbooks.

--Sage

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:16:08 -0500