homestead - Re: [Homestead] Increasing Fertility

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Increasing Fertility
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:55:25 -0500

Yes, and also for it being over farmed. Tobacco and corn were grown
here for hundreds of years. Lot's of people went west to the mid west
to farm that land out in the 1800s, after they had depleted this soil.
There has never been much money in this area, so people just went on
farming out the land. It is, however good soil. I've limed, so that is
a good help, now I just need to rebuild the fertility.

This is a good thing for people to take into account when they buy
acreage. Initial cost plus the cost of reclaiming that land equal
total cost. for me, the location and initial cost of the land was low.
The thing that I did not take into account is the fact that all of the
farm stores in a 60 mile radius look at you like you are crazy if you
want to buy anything more exotic than 10-20-20.

Rob - Va