homestead - [Homestead] Increasing Fertility

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Increasing Fertility
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:29:56 -0500

My soils are really deficient in Phosphorus and Potash. I'm thinking
to make a (big) purchase of rock phosphate and green sand to broadcast
on the 2 acres of fields I have tilled and am actively working on. If
I have those nutrients, I can grow my nitrogen. Once I have the
nutrients close to livable levels, I can probably maintain with
manure. Right now, I don't think I can get there with what manure I
can find or have made here.

Does anyone have any experience in using rock phosphate or green sand?
How much did you apply? What were the results?

Thanks,

Rob - Va