homestead - Re: [Homestead] For those really serious about being prepared . . .

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] For those really serious about being prepared . . .
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:45:52 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
Ok, I have the gamma lid and bucket. What are you saying? that you just roll the clothes around in the bucket?
Pretty much. Used to use a James washer before the fire and kid was carrying hot water, sloshing all over the place as kids will, so I told him to put the lid on. It was a short shot from there, of course. I use warm water and do first load, then after it cools I can still usually get at least one more batch out of it before I have to dump it. I leave clothes to soak for 15-20 minutes, then turn the bucket on it's side and roll it a number of times; that's all it takes for most things. Summers I use a long hose, leave it filled with water, sun warms so no extra cost there, winters I do heat water sometimes, other times just start with cold. I work outside in summer, by the basement drain in winter, so no lifting a full pail of water (kids all had the audacity to move away!). Takes very little soap. I hang outside unless freezing or below. I have Raynaud's syndrome so always chicken out when it gets really cold.....then I hang on a huge indoor rack (7' when fully extended) by the woodstove.

I use a lot of wool, both for clothing and for bedding, and it washes very easily, even if somewhat crowded in the pail. Jeans are the most difficult. Sheets I do one at a time but a few small items can also go in with each...

So since the fire, that's all I use and it works well except for large bedding, that waits until spring/summer and I do that outdoors in a tote sled, which also functions as a dog bathtub in case of skunks, and when it get holes/cracks in (10-15 years) I use it to hold garden soil for kitchen greens.

The little pressure washers I'm told do a good job, but of all the folks I know who were using them, none are now. They were a hot item, someone was selling them locally before Y2K. Some broke, others found them too small. I'd think for one person one could get along OK with one, providing whatever breaks is something that can be kept intact with care, but I still had the James at that time and was using the bucket as a backup, so just went that route.

SusanJane, in Maine