homestead - [Homestead] Bailing out the auto industry

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Bailing out the auto industry
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:18:25 -0500

Hanky Panky so far seems to be dumping as much money as possible on his
friends in the financial industry. He has burned through almost all the
first installment on the $700B bailout. He will be returning to the Lame
Duck congress with hat in hand asking for more. His intent is to use up as
much as possible between now and Jan 20.

As for the auto industry, they are "old industry" according to the financial
mindset of Paulson and Bernenke and should be allowed to fail. To them we
do not need industrial, all we need is financial.

I tend to agree that we should let the auto industry fall on its own though
for very different reasons. We need industry but more diversified and with
more players. It would not hurt for the auto companies to have to
significantly raise prices and force the consumer into buying fewer cars and
making sure the ones we have last much longer. High prices would force down
the sizes of cars which will be needed in the face of declining oil
supplies.

Don Bowen KI6DIU